Starting Your Gym Workout Routines with These Easy Steps
Starting a workout program may be one of the most important things that you can do before you hit the gym. Most people hit the gym without workout routines and get buffed up with tiny legs. Don’t be among them, but rather go though this in depth guide to get fit evenly. With this guide your journey to becoming a fit model is guaranteed. Not only is it good for your health, but also crucial for the workout success rate. It is undeniable that a good trainer is worth every penny and awesome in creating great changes. However, such a good trainer may be beyond your budget.
If your goal is to get buffed up then you should get a protein supplement.
Even though you cannot afford to hire an intelligent and dedicated trainer, but that does not mean that you cannot get a great workout routine. If you cannot get Gym workout routines designed by a good trainer, you should make one on your own. When creating a Gym routine plan, you only need to think like a trainer. Am also here to guide you. Here are some easy steps to create Gym workout routines for beginners.
Set a realistic goal
The most important step in creating a workout plan is to set a very realistic goal. Remember that the goal should be realistic. No matter what your goal is, whether to lose weight or bulk, the most important is to create the workout routine that you can do. For example, if your goal is to finish a ten-kilometer run, you can start by planning a shorter running plan. When you finish with the shorter run, you can increase the running distance. Taking baby step is fine as long as you are consistent in doing it.
Assess your fitness level
Everyone has different workout power and strength. You cannot just simply copy other’s workout routine from the internet without assessing your fitness level. Assessing and recording your fitness score help you give the benchmark of your fitness level and also your progress. To access the fitness level, you need to record the pulse, heart rate, walkability, how many sit-ups you can do at a time, body mass index, and such a thing.
Even though the recommendation of workout duration is 30 minutes of physical activities for 5 days a week, you can vary the duration for more or less. According to some studies, doing three separate 10 minutes of exercise has the same effect of continuous 30 minutes of workout. Besides the recommendation, the duration of exercise also varies based on the workout intensity. The more vigorous exercise means less duration of workout every week.
Gym Workout Chart – Design the workout program
Going to the gym is easy, but you need to create a gym workout chart. To start the workout program, you will need to grab a piece of paper and a pen. Write the workout program, so that you will not forget. It is also easy to follow up with the written program. In the workout program, you will need to create a balanced routine. So, here are some points to include in the workout program.
- Workout duration – According to the Department of Health and Human Service, the recommended workout routine is at least 150 minutes of aerobics per week. This means you can do at least 30 minutes of workout every day. In between the moderate workout, you need to incorporate major muscle training at least two days a week.
- Workout activities – Even though you specifically love running, but you need to include different activities for variation. Doing various workout routine is very important to prevent exercise boredom. It is also crucial to reduce the chances of injuries. You can plan different exercise that emphasizes on different parts of the body such as swimming, running, strength training, and so on.
- Recovery time – When you are a beginner in a workout, make sure to avoid the biggest mistake of working too intense or too long. Do not wait until the joints and muscles injured or sore to rest. You need to include the recovery time between the exercise plan.
- Include the workout in daily routine – The main problem with workout is to find the time. That is why it is important to include the workout in the daily routine as you would do to other appointments.
Before deciding on how many reps and sets to perform every workout session, you need to look back to the fitness goal. If you plan to lose weight, you will need to exercise in three sets of 15 or 20 reps exercise. If you want to gain strength, you will need to focus on low-rep and high-rep schemes, for instance, six sets including three to five reps. The rule in designing the exercise scheme is simple, when you reduce the number of reps per set, increase the load of weight you are lifting.
When deciding the rest time, you need to consider the amount of weight that you are lifting. If you are performing max or close to the max lifts with one or two reps per set, will need two or three minutes to rest in between sets. In addition, you can also add 45 to 60 second of rest to elevating the heart rate, muscle growth, and calorie burn.
Four Weeks Beginner Workout Guideline
- Week 1 – full-body training split
- Week 2 – Upper/Lower body training
- Week 3 – push/pull legs
- Week 4 – full body training
Week 1 – Full-body training split
As the name suggests, in the first week you will start to exercise the full-body training. This exercise includes all major body part in each exercise. In the first three days, perform one exercise for one body part in a session.
The exercise in week 1 basically is the collection of basic workout that is suitable for both advanced and beginner trainers. The purpose for week 1 exercise is to master the strength and muscle gain. In the first week, you will have three sets of exercise per workout for each body part. For each exercise, you will do around 8-12 reps per sets. The rep scheme is ideal to achieve even muscle gains and widely used for both pro and amateur bodybuilder. Here is the list of exercise that you can choose.
Note: Before any workout, use a treadmill or bicycle or jog for at least 5mins the moment you visit the gym. It prepares you for any workout you wish to perform.
- Monday – Dumbbell bench press (2 sets 10-12 reps), Standing military press (2 sets, 10-12 reps), triceps pushdown (2 sets, 10-12 reps), Lying triceps press (2 sets, 10-12 reps), Side lateral raise (2 sets, 10-12 reps), Seated Dumbbell curl (2 sets, 10-12 reps).
- Tuesday – leg press (3 sets , 10-12 reps), seated leg curl (2 sets, 10-12 reps), lying leg curls (2 sets, 10-12 reps), standing calf raises (2 sets, 10-12 reps), ab crunch machine (2 sets, 10-12 reps), crunches (3 sets, 10-12 reps).
- Thursday – Chin up (3 sets, 10-12 reps), Seated cable rows (2 sets, 10-12 reps), Side lateral raise (2 sets, 10-12 reps), Hammer curls (2 sets, 10-12 reps), Incline dumbbell press (2 sets, 10-12 reps), Cable crossover (3 sets, 10-12 reps).
- Friday – Donkey calf raises (2 sets, 10-12 reps), Seated leg curl (2 sets, 10-12 reps), Standing leg curl (2 sets, 10-12 reps), Hack squat (2 sets, 10-12 reps), crunches (3 sets, 10-12 reps).
If you have been inactive lately, you can start the exercise with 8 reps in the first set, then gradually improve to 10 reps for the second exercise and 12 reps for the third exercise. In the bodybuilding circles, this is known as ‘reverse pyramid’ where you increase the weight gradually in each set to complete higher reps count.
Week 2 – Split Exercise
After finishing the first-week program, you can proceed to train different body parts on different days. This means that you will train the entire body in the course of two days instead of one. In this day you will have four days in total. The workout scheme includes:
- Monday and Thursday – upper body training
- Tuesday and Friday – Lower body training
Each of the body parts will be trained in 2 sets with 10-12 reps. The other three days, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday will be the rest days. You can choose some exercises from week 1 and also adds some movements. Thus, you can train all muscles group from different angles. For example, chest exercise includes compound movement (including dumbbell bench press) and isolation exercise (include dumbbell flye). The compound movement involves multiple joints and muscle to work, while the isolation exercise only includes on joint and targets the area for greater extent.
In the second week, you will still use the reverse pyramid scheme where you start from small and gradually increase the reps. Though, in this week 2, you will go up until 15 reps for each exercise. You may think that 15 reps may just slightly higher than the standard muscle-building range, but this scheme will help in muscular endurance to provide a strong foundation to build strength and size.
Week 3 – Push/Pull Legs
The Week 3 workout program is the three-day training. This includes training all ‘pushing’ body part such as triceps, shoulder, and chest. This week three days training schemes should look like this:
- Monday – Train the ‘pulling’ body part, such as biceps and back, and Abs
- Wednesday – lower body workout, such as calves, hamstrings, glutes, and quads
- Friday – Train each body part as in Week 2. So, you train each body part twice each week and you will hit the gym for 6 days this week.
In this week, you surely realize that one exercise is added to the routine to provide more angles to train the desired muscles and also promote development. For each muscle group, you will have two exercises with 3-4 sets for each of the exercise. For larger body parts such as shoulder, back, chest, hamstrings, and quads, you will need 4 sets and for smaller body parts such as abs, triceps, biceps, and calves, you will need 3 sets. The total sets for week 3 should be 16 sets for larger body parts and 12 set for smaller bodyparts. For both exercises, you can do it in 8-15 reps for each exercise.
Week 4 – Full body train
In the final week, you will have four days training in a four-way split. You will train each body part once, except for abs and calves, which will be trained twice. The four-day workout splits are popular among professional lifters since it involves fewer body parts training in each workout session. This workout schemes give each muscle group lots of attention and also gives you time to train the muscle in higher volume.
In the four-day workout schemes, you see that triceps and chest, biceps and back, hamstring and quads are paired up. This workout scheme allows you to train the shoulder part more or less on its own while alternately hit abs and calves. In week 4, there is no new exercise added, so, you can focus on the workout intensity instead of learning new exercise.
In this week, the workout rep schemes will remain in hypertrophy, but you can increase the volume simply by adding more sets in each exercise. For example, you can add 5 sets for a larger body part in each movement or on Thursday, you increase 10 sets of calf raise. The increase of number in the workout makes sure that the muscles are trained sufficiently and continue to grow the development they have experienced in the last three weeks.
Healthy diet and lifestyle is a must
Exercise is good for body health including muscle building or weight loss. However, nothing happens if you do not combine exercise and a healthy diet. You need to combine exercise, healthy diet, and healthy lifestyle in one package to achieve the body goal. Think of changing the eating plan without giving up the foods that you love. Control the calorie intake and be smart with protein and carbohydrates. You will also need to limit alcohol consumption and give up smoking for a better health condition and faster workout result.
In addition, you also need to schedule meals for before and after a workout. Professional gym trainer does not only create the exercise program but also schedule the meals. You need to also write down the eating plan, including meals and snacks, along with the workout routine for the week. Post the schedule where you will see it every day such as in the fridge door. As important as planning the workout, you also need to conduct a healthy diet and lifestyle. Your workout routine will just go waste if you still eating crap and conducting an unhealthy lifestyle. Remember, workout, healthy diet, and lifestyle is one package to reach your health goal. Follow this gym workout routines for an evenly shaped you.
If your goal is to lose love handles or belly fat, Checkout 12 best exercises for love handles